Monday, September 17, 2001

archive of original WKT website 2001-02

LettersNational PostThursday, August 15, 2002
I would like to clarify the final message in the three-part article about my sister, Theresa Allore (Evidence Points to a Serial Killer, Aug. 13). Patricia Pearson has stated that our information will be turned over to law enforcement authorities in Quebec. This action should be taken. Investigators need to take the files of Camirand, Dubé and Allore, put them side by side, and go over them thoroughly.Nevertheless, if information is to be disclosed to Quebec law enforcement, it will be forwarded by Ms. Pearson, not by me. The Sûreté du Québec did not, has not, and, I anticipate, will never do anything significant to help my family in this matter. In fact, they continue to deny me access to the full contents of their police file on Theresa. They act as custodians of this information. They have treated myself and my family like children. I believe I have a personal right to know absolutely everything about the events surrounding Theresa's disappearance and death. When the Sûreté is ready to grant me 100% access to that information, I will be more than happy to share with them the contents of my investigation.Today I have learned that the Sûreté is looking into the possibility of putting an officer on this case to look into the matter of Camirand/Dubé/Allore. If they are doing this in response to public pressure, I say, "why bother." You're too late. Instead, take that officer and dedicate him to the Julie Boisvenu investigation.What is past is prologue. My sister died over 20 years ago, and her murder will most likely never be solved. But there is much to be learned from this affair. A young woman, Julie Bureau, went missing in Coaticook in September of 2001. She has yet to be found. As was the case with my sister, in the initial months of Bureau's disappearance, one of the biggest obstacles her family faced was convincing the authorities that she was not a runaway.The French community in Sherbrooke remains unaware of the story of Theresa Allore, just as no English resident has knowledge of Manon Dubé, a francophone. This despite the fact that Dubé made front page news in the French press last year when her case was red by the Sherbrooke municipal police.Theresa's story is not some '70s cultural artifact. It resonates today. I hope individuals in positions of authority in Canada will hear it.John Allore, Chapel Hill, N.C.

No comments:

Post a Comment